[Jukebox-list] a question, a comment, & a tip.

Jens Hultgren drjukebx at algonet.se
Sun Apr 1 12:04:01 PDT 2001

BSA King wrote:

> The q:
>
> The culprit is my Seeburg FireStar. A select problem - was working. Now when
> I press the keys, it does not start to scan and pickup. If I click the mech
> switch, it will go & work fine.
>
> Dr. J suggested  check the scan board. There's a SCR (Silicon Controlled
> Rectifier), similar to a triac, that pulses the scan control solenoid. The
> solenoid can also be pulsed with the switch I mentioned.

Still saying SCAN BOARD! ;)

> The comment:
>
> - while plunking around with the FireStar/STD-2, I realized that it gets
> used a lot. Someone once asked me which I listen to most, between it and the
> original Seeburg R(bandshell as well), or others around the house for that
> matter. Not sure if it is number one or not, but that FireStar gets used a
> lot more than say the ST-4, which is roughly same vintage (little newer),
> but pretty close in sound. Probably the overall loook adds to the appeal.
>
> It dawned on me that the 70's - 80 vintage , may have some 'collectibles' at
> some point in time for future generations. The FireStar/STD-2, and a
> (believe it or not) Rockola 464 ( - it is sooooo tacky that it is cool) get
> my vote of the ones I actually have here.  I hope they do get worth more - I
> hate to see ANY juke relegated to the dumpster. The value is an incentive to
> people to hang onto them or get them fixed before they are irretrievably
> gone.

I believe this is a very common thing - if you have a Wurlitzer 2000 and
say a 70's whatever in the house, chances are the later will get more
airtime.

> I'm not talking about the FireStar over the Seeburg R or other 50's, or
> versus a Tempo II from the 60's. The market value already pretty well
> reflects the overall trend. However, I find 70-80's boxes are almost all the
> same price (so far).
>
> Wonder which ones other people think of 70's, 80's would be candidates for a
> future 'collectible' list? Maybe an Americana and a Disco or Entertainer as
> well? There are lots of them I have not ever seen yet.

I would vote for Bandshell and Firestar (it is USC-2 btw), Entertainer
STD160, Matador SPS2,
and the SMC series. The purple Wurlitzer 3800. The Rowes for sound, but
boy are they ugly.
The Rockolas - many of them tacky as you say, but I like the 436-437
with the slightly visible mech, and the moving sign on top, and
the 442-443. (Ok, so they are from the 60s.)
  The modern machines make extensive use of plastic, which is very hard
to restore. Will they reproduce plastic trim in the future? Hard to
believe, but one never knows. I remember well when I started out, one of
the first books I got was "Jukebox: The Golden Age", and I believe it is
there the author writes that the 50's machines are just too ugly. The
V200 was described as an atrocity, only the M100C had any kind of
appeal. His book ends with a picture of the M100A, only to prove his
point that W1100 was the end of classic jukeboxes.
  I was so surprised to read this in 1985! We were already drooling over
AMI Hs and Is, and the W1700-2100.

  If people start restoring modern jukeboxes, there may be a shortage of
45 vinyl ahead.

> The (well, potential) tip:
>
> While starting with basics, I took the keypad out of the FireStar and
> noticed the contacts on the board were not in the best of shape. Sort of
> surprised that the copper traces appeared of different thickness, scratched,
> etc.  I had tried cleaning them, but they still had that flakey feel in
> terms of contact. What I did was recoat them all in solder to thicken up the
> edges a bit.

Isn't that board gold plated? If so, best just cleaning it - now you may
have problems ahead, I fear...

Better clean the board edges in the control center, and replace the SCR
- the likely culprit. Check with a scan board from another machine, and
see if anything changes.

				Jens