[Jukebox-list] a question, a comment, & a tip.

BSA King bsaking at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 1 18:37:55 PDT 2001

The q:

The culprit is my Seeburg FireStar. A select problem - was working. Now when
I press the keys, it does not start to scan and pickup. If I click the mech
switch, it will go & work fine.

Dr. J suggested  check the scan board. There's a SCR (Silicon Controlled
Rectifier), similar to a triac, that pulses the scan control solenoid. The
solenoid can also be pulsed with the switch I mentioned.

Thing I now noticed today is that it selects perfectly if I push the buttons
while it is either playing or scanning, but not from a stop position. That's
what threw me at first - thought it was fixed, then it wasn't. There is a
pattern to it.

On the basis of the pattern I noticed, could it be something easier like a
switch or contact I have missed?

The comment:

- while plunking around with the FireStar/STD-2, I realized that it gets
used a lot. Someone once asked me which I listen to most, between it and the
original Seeburg R(bandshell as well), or others around the house for that
matter. Not sure if it is number one or not, but that FireStar gets used a
lot more than say the ST-4, which is roughly same vintage (little newer),
but pretty close in sound. Probably the overall loook adds to the appeal.

It dawned on me that the 70's - 80 vintage , may have some 'collectibles' at
some point in time for future generations. The FireStar/STD-2, and a
(believe it or not) Rockola 464 ( - it is sooooo tacky that it is cool) get
my vote of the ones I actually have here.  I hope they do get worth more - I
hate to see ANY juke relegated to the dumpster. The value is an incentive to
people to hang onto them or get them fixed before they are irretrievably
gone.

I'm not talking about the FireStar over the Seeburg R or other 50's, or
versus a Tempo II from the 60's. The market value already pretty well
reflects the overall trend. However, I find 70-80's boxes are almost all the
same price (so far).

Wonder which ones other people think of 70's, 80's would be candidates for a
future 'collectible' list? Maybe an Americana and a Disco or Entertainer as
well? There are lots of them I have not ever seen yet.

The (well, potential) tip:

While starting with basics, I took the keypad out of the FireStar and
noticed the contacts on the board were not in the best of shape. Sort of
surprised that the copper traces appeared of different thickness, scratched,
etc.  I had tried cleaning them, but they still had that flakey feel in
terms of contact. What I did was recoat them all in solder to thicken up the
edges a bit.

I clamped the pieces so I had a 'third hand', then coated the traces with
solder. Nice & clean and even & not too much heat - don't want to lift
thoses traces off the board. Then I used solder wick about the same size as
each trace. Heated up the braid on the pad connector until solder flowed
into the braid, and slowly pulled the braid towards me (towards the insert
edge of the trace). This left a really smooth solder built up trace which I
then polished and cleaned.

Now that board has a real nice factory snug feel to it, instead of being a
sloppy fit. My problems still exist (see q: above), but at least I am now
pretty sure it is not that part causing it.

Anyhow, fwiw an amateur idea. As good as a new board? - not a chance -
better than it was, seems to be!

/end/ - whew!
Cheers, Bruce in Canada