[Jukebox-list] Gorgeous "R"

Jens A. Hultgren drjukebx at algonet.se
Mon Jul 17 22:26:32 PDT 2000

Jay Hennigan wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Jens A. Hultgren wrote:
>
> >   Still have to see somebody do an "R" restoration so that it couldn't
> > be told from original.
> >                       Jens
>
> The toughest part of this is the printed or lithographed grain on the
> sides.  As far as I can tell, this is true of all '50s Seeburgs.  I have
> yet to have anyone explain exactly how this was applied.  On the R,
> the same technique was also applied to the metal triangles to the sides
> of the titleboard inside the dome.  It looks almost like a decal, perhaps
> it is.

It is either printed right onto the board or a decal. I think it is a
decal, a transparent decal with just the woodgrain on it. It sets so
well that you never see it flaking :) In order to make a perfect
restoration, one would need to use the same technique. There are
certainly other ways of making it look very nice. But it won't look
original. Like, Victory Glass offers a selfadhesive decal for Wurlitzer
2100/2104, that is excellent. It really makes it look original. But - it
is rather sensitive to scratches (throw out the cat!), and I wouldn't be
surprised if it will shrink over time.
  Isn't the original decal called Di-Noc, and wasn't it first used by
the automotive industry? Now I get the idea to make a search for
"di-noc", using  google.com (a current favourite)for a search machine.
Here are some links that came up (48 hits):

http://www.3m.com/market/construction/html/products/product104.html

http://www.car-nection.com/yann/Factd-g.htm

Apparently the Di-Noc company of CLeveland served Cadilac with burl
imitation for their dashes starting in 1941. Says on the 3M website:
"Durable, pressure-sensitive vinyl films offer more than 300 pattern
selections...." 3M only sells Di-Noc in the UK, France and the far east.
That would account for why I haven't found it in the US or here in
Sweden.

http://www.mopars.org/profvol9.html  quote: "The Di Noc material is a
transfer material which wasbonded to the steel - similar to the
instrument panels when a wood
 grain effect was desired."

And here
http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/coll/marque/birthof.htm  , when
making a Ford Torino clay model:  I
 made the decision to have my model di-noc done in a straight shade of
bright red. (Di-noc is a 54"
    high by 200 feet long, rolled up decal with hot water peel-off
backing. Very pliable, the clay
     modelers apply it by wetting the clay model, then simply laying the
di-noc on the clay and
 squeegeeing out the all the water trapped between the two. It takes
about 6 hours for the di-noc to
 dry enough to be handled.)

So now I know a little more about it. I guess that is just how they did
it on jukes.

> Of course, a lot of the really fine detail depends on the amount of time
> the restorer wants to put into it.  Some of the antique radio people will
> melt the wax out of old paper capacitors and hide new Orange Drops inside
> the original paper tubes, rebuild electrolytic cans, etc.  I'm not sure I
> would ever want to go that far.

Collectors are nutty people! (I oughta know).
			Jens