[Jukebox-list] Gorgeous "R"

Don Kasbohm donkaz at lycos.com
Mon Jul 17 18:50:44 PDT 2000

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 16:31:14
Jay Hennigan wrote:
>The toughest part of this is the printed or lithographed grain on the
>sides.  As far as I can tell, this is true of all '50s Seeburgs.  I have
>yet to have anyone explain exactly how this was applied.  On the R,
>the same technique was also applied to the metal triangles to the sides
>of the titleboard inside the dome.  It looks almost like a decal, perhaps
>it is.

This stuff is called "Capathian Burl Elm". VG did sell a contact paper kit to replicate this pattern, but it has been discontinued. I guess it could also be done with carpathian burl elm veneer as well (I've found it for sale on line in various places).
An easy alternative, and a close match to the original finish is to use Formicas "Chesnut Burl". I did this on my machine and used "Dune Wood" for the rear. Both of these shades can be viewed at www.formica.com. I had the work done at a local kitchen countertop shop, and was quite pleased with the results. I also had them apply the burl to the "triangles" that support the title board to at least try and make it match the original (Yes,they will still screw back down in between the glass like that!).

Don in MI