[Jukebox-list] Gorgeous "R"

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Mon Jul 17 14:06:32 PDT 2000

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Bob E. wrote:

> I'm drooling over this Seeburg that is up on eBay right now:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=384497299
>
> Is that grille cloth accurate?  And the side finish?  Even if not, it looks
> to be a beautiful job.  On a related note, I understand that the 100J has
> the reworked grille of the R, but there seem to be other differences too.

The grillecloth is not accurate, nor is the side finish.  The original
grillecloth is a light gold.  The sidecovers have a burl finish on the
front which also matches the small triangles to the side of the title
board.  The rear portion of the side finish is a very light woodgrain
finish, almost like a piclked or bleached woodgrain.  I'm in the process
of restoring an R, and have both the bright gold and regular gold cloth
from Victory Glass.  I'm shooting for close to original on this machine
so will probably go with the regular gold, although the bright gold is
flashier.

> Questions:

> 1) Does the J have five speakers too?  It looks like they do not have the
> circular grilles on the sides.

The J doesn't have the side speakers.  I don't know if it is similar to
the front speakers of the R with two woofers and a tweeter, or just a
single woofer and a tweeter.  The J grille is much less ornate than the
R.  No glass dividers, no waterfalls.  A plain grillecloth with an
expanded metal rectangle in front as a shield against being kicked in.

> 2) Is the "backdrop" for the mechanism of the J the same gold-colored
> plastic with horizontal creases like on the R?  It looks like a different
> pattern on some of the J's I have seen.

It isn't the broad horizontal flutes like on the R, but it's a similar
parabolic sweep.

The J and R share the same basic mechanism, dome and side glass, etc.
The main differences are the five speakers and the grille treatment
in the R, and the cabinet side finish.

A couple of reasonable photos, although not much that's reasonable on
the rest of this website at:

http://www.seeburg.com/jukes/100j.htm
http://www.seeburg.com/jukes/100r.htm

Jay Hennigan  -  Network Administration  -  jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  NASDAQ: NETX  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323